Allthough our travel agent was good, our trip was a not as good because of Cruise Canada. We´ve had experiences with this company in the USA years back, but things have changed, or things are just worse in this Calgary location.
It started on the first day: our RV was ready and parked along the building. We got a verrry rushed explanation, the girl talked so fast and with bad pronunciation that we could hardly follow. And we both speak and understand english perfectly. After we were asking multiple questions about the inspection, she suddenly ran off. And we didnt see her since. We picked our overpriced rental chairs and bedding and started to load the RV. After a few more minutes another employee came to us and said that we had to hurry up because there were cleaning workers that needed to clean the area that THEY parked us in. And we were at the RV less than 10 minutes in total since we got the keys. We got a bit annoyed about their rushed 'service' and said in a bit annoyed tone that we were almost done, with that she ran off mad. Nice way to start your vacation eh? In a very expensive rental, you might expect some degree of service and courtesy.
After that we could experience the worn down RV. With 93.000 km run and the way the inside looked, you could see that this one has been used a lot. Hopefully it would be too much of a bother. Sadly it was. Ill list the things that were broken or badly functioning:
- the level meters were almost all broken, so we had to guess how much water and waste we had (not that hard, but still annoying after the first nights )
- the sewage system was broken/leaky, no matter how firmly we shut the valves. Once you open the waste container with the valves pushed, all the waste flowed out. Yes i got some nasty hands during this.
- the water hose was leaking, so when attached to city water, the following morning you would have a nice pool under your RV. Wasting huge amounts of water, therefore we only did this once.
- the seatbelt at the driverseat was stuck for over 10 times during our 2,5 week vacation. This means: you couldnt drive with your seatbelts on. Looking at the huge cracks in the plastic near the seatbelt mechanism: this wasnt the first time someone was irritated about this. The repaircompany couldnt fix it.
- the bed on top was on the inside side verrry hard (ok it's a small rental RV, live with it) but after a few days we noticed that the piece of wood that was attached to the moving part of the top bed was not straight. That explains the back aches after a night.
- vermin can enter the inside of the RV from the outside, and so they did. We had mice or other types of small vermin running around in the middle of the night in the lower cabinets. Who builds an RV like that, or who doesnt repair that? Scared the *** out of us the first night.
- the light in the toilet functioned badly, flickering everytime.
- the fan for cooking was really bad, made a lot of noice but barely sucked out any cooking smells/steam. And it struggled constantly, making weird noises, Even when attached to power.
- the cooking light was barely a light.
- the seating of the dining area was heavily used: 1 side of the pillow was soft the other really hard. And there were light brown stains on them, quite light so not something you would notice during a first check round. But it shows the number of people who've sat on it. Why not replace these pillows? They have ton of the same RV's, why not change seperate parts.
- the convenience kit was incomplete: no broom, while they asked us to clean the RV.
- also all the pans were really bad quality, everything sticked to the pans no matter how much oil you put in.
- the huge 'sharp' knife could barely cut a piece of meat, even chicken which is not so tough.
- some of the spoons where very badly bend out of shape, shows that no one checks the cutlery
- remember for this 'convenience' kit you pay a whopping 110 dollars to RENT it. I bet that you can buy better stuff for this money.
- the 55 dollar each 'personal kit' was just oke, 2 towels, 2 smaller ones, one linnen (no matter how long your holiday is i guess, you do it with one) and 1 quite thin blanket. Really too thin if you want to sleep no the Icefield Parkway. So we had to buy extra.
The list is quite long, and although nothing was so severe we had to go to the repair station (just the seatbelts) and/or invest a few holidays in getting things right. It did put a stain on our holiday. Especially realising you paid a small fortune to rent this vehicle + all the extra stuff.
Highly disappointed with Cruise Canada (Calgary). I'll publish this review at several places to inform people.